Skip to main content

Catching Up >> Appreciations & Benefits 1-3

Appreciation 1:
I have created for myself a tremendous circle of friends – bright, funny, intelligent and supportive – there is no shortage of big hearts and brilliant minds in my world.

Benefit 1:
I wrote Appreciation 1 in a moment of absolute madness. It was the day that my 2 month old laptop became infected with spyware. I had been banging my head against my desk trying to beat the spyware and I was getting my ass kicked. I took a break to read the email from Babs which challenged me to this 30 day game. I was instantly excited about the idea and without thought wrote my first appreciation about the great people I know. I don't remember if I emailed Yvonne before or after reading the email from Babs but it was later on in the day when Yvonne helped me resolve my spyware issue. I was sooooooooooo relieved. Words cannot express how completely stressed out I had felt all day. Thanks to Yvonne, my computer is virus-free and my appreciation has been validated. There is no shortage of big hearts and brilliant minds in my world.

Appreciation 2:
I appreciate my independent spirit. It has given me the courage to make my own path both personally and professionally and freed me from feeling as though I had to/ought to follow the ‘norm’.

Benefit 2:
Yesterday, while focusing so clearly on my independent spirit I was awaiting response to a dinner request with a friend that I have not seen in a very long time. For a multitude of reasons, we don't see eachother very often and, while I was hopeful these plans would pan out, I was realistic in expecting that there was a good chance it would not. Unfortunately, hope lost this one and our plans fell through. In the past I have always felt exceptionally let down when our plans have not worked out but without even really thinking directly about it, I immediately felt comfortable with the idea that this time didn't work, but there would be time for another get together. I didn't experience the typical feelings of disappointment - I truly felt positive that this didn't work out for a reason that is bigger than I know right now. And I can live with that. Happily. Independently. With spirit.

Appreciation 3:
I appreciate my ability to find the lesson…the bright side…in the things that come my way. Optimism is powerful.

Benefit 3:
Today was overall a chaotic day, torn between clients, meetings, a doctors appointment on the far edge of town and the PTO. Somewhere in all the running I actually managed to misplace my favorite fall jacket which I was fine without until this evening when leaving for the PTO board meeting. I opened up the closet door and dug towards the back. I found a forgotten favorite fall jacket - one that I have not worn for quite some time. I remember when I bought it, who I bought it with, the trip we were on...so many great memories flooded back to me about the time that I bought this jacket. I lost my other jacket for a reason - and it was so I could reconnect with the memories associated with another jacket.

Crazy huh? Warm fuzzies over a jacket.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's so hard to leave....until you leave.

“And as paralyzing and upsetting as all the never agains were, the final leaving felt perfect. Pure. The most distilled possible form of liberation. Everything that mattered except one lousy picture was in the trash, but it felt so great. I started jogging, wanting to put even more distance between myself and school. It is so hard to leave—until you leave. And then it is the easiest goddamned thing in the world.” ― John Green , Paper Towns

We should all strive for this

  Do not ask your children to strive for extraordinary lives. Such striving may seem admirable, but it is the way of foolishness. Help them instead to find the wonder and the marvel of an ordinary life. Show them the joy of tasting tomatoes, apples and pears. Show them how to cry when pets and people die. Show them the infinite pleasure in the touch of a hand. And make the ordinary come alive for them. The extraordinary will take care of itself. Source:  The Parent's Tao Te Ching